the Surroundings: the Oasis
The history of the Oasis of San Giuliano is linked to that of the artificial space created for irrigating reasons between 1950 and 1957 thanks to the economical support of the Marshall Plan.
The lake is home to a great variety of water birds which made it necessary to adopt safeguard initiatives to protect the wildlife in the area.
In 1989 W.W.F. Italia was charged with the whole natural management of the place, and since 1991 the long path of the “Gravina del Bradano” became part of the Park of the Murgia Materana.
The whole Area was declared International heritage site and since then it has been included in the official list of Italian damp areas provided for by the Ramsar Agreement.